Thursday, November 4, 2010

A delightfully fun holiday "cookie" that a friend just reminded me of.

Have you ever tried Cinnamon - Applesause Cookies? Wait, DON'T EAT! I mean, I guess you could but it sure won't be tasty! This very simple recipe makes some of the cutest decorations. I have done Christmas ornaments but my favorite is to shape the dough into shapes...kind of like playing with play-dough. Once they dry they keep for a long time. One of my favorite figures that I made was a snowman. I used tooth picks in the center to help stabilize and small twigs that I found in the yard for arms. Teeny-tiny pieces of gravel made his eyes...your getting the idea. I then used a small piece of ribbon tied around his neck for a scarf. SUPER CUTE. If he had survived my move I would put up pictures.

Cinnamon Christmas "Cookies"

3/4 - 1 Cup Applesauce
1 (4.12oz) bottle ground Cinnamon

Mix applesauce and cinnamon together to form a stiff dough. Knead in additional cinnamon if needed to achieve desired stiffness of the dough. Using cinnamon to "flour" your baking area roll out dough and use cookie cutters to obtain your desired shape. Don't forget to use a straw to make a hole at the top of the ornament before it begins to dry. Carefully lay "cookies" on a rack to dry and let air dry for several days turning occasionally. You make choose to back the cookies in a cool oven (150 degrees) for 5-6 hours. If you are like me and want to create 3D figures allow for extra drying time.

***
When you no longer are getting the fragrant benefits from these "cookies" grab an old toothbrush and lightly brush them.

1 comment: