Monday, October 25, 2010

Have you ever?

have you ever just typed in "cookies" into Google? I did this just the other day and boy did I find some interesting recipies. I even found a recipe for cookies for your dog! I laughed and scrolled on down. But I did find some recipies taht had me drooling onto my keyboard. I went home and whipped a batch of these that very evening :)

I'm calling them"

Ooey - Gooey Chocolate Chip Chocolate Buttermilk-esk Cookies
* I get to change the name because I modified the recipe to suit  me *

1 tsp lemon juice
1 Cup - 1 tsp milk
2 Cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup margerine
3/4 Cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Cup sugar
1 Cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

#1) Put lemon juice in a 1 Cup measure and fill to the top with milk; let stand for 5 min.



#2) Sift together flour, soda and salt; set aside.
#3) Melt margerine over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla and 2/3 Cup of milk mixture.
#4) Whisk in flour mixture until no white streaks show.
#5) Stir in chocolate chips.
#6) Drop in 1 inch sized “dollups” on an lightly greased cookie sheet about 2 inches from each other.
#7) Bake for 9-10 minutes.
#8) Let stand for several minutes and transfer to cooling rack.


******

~ What the lemon juice and milk combined together does is makes a buttermilk substitute. I NEVER have buttermilk on hand so I came across this handy “cheater”. I even did the math to see how to make 2/3 Cup of buttermilk:

There are 48 tsp/1 Cup
We need 2/3 Cup
2/3 = 0.66
0.66 x 48 = 31.68
n = amount of lemon juice needed
n/31.68 = 1/48
48n = 31.68
n = 0.66
0.66 = 2/3
  So what we have learned is that we need 2/3 tsp of lemon juice and 2/3 cup  - 2/3 tsp milk to equal 2/3 Cup “buttermilk”… OR you can do it the easy way that I listed in the recipe and just dispose of the other 1/3 Cup of milk, OR you could even use buttermilk itself….

~ I think next time I’m going to use white chocolate chips because they will be pretty


Of course it wasn't until AFTER I had baked them all up that I realized that this recipe does NOT call for eggs and guess what that means...It's safe to eat the dough!

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! and thanks for the all important tip about "tasting" ;)

    ReplyDelete